The Roofing Alliance, the philanthropic arm of the National Roofing Contractors Association, is helping create the next generation of roofing and construction leaders with its 2023-24 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program.
According to the NRCA's website, the Roofing Alliance awarded $50,000 for scholarship renewals and $30,000 for new scholarships for a total of $80,000 for the 2023-24 school year. To date, 159 students have received $1 million in scholarship awards.
The new recipients for the 2023-24 academic year are (in alphabetical order):
- Evan Cady, son of Traci Cady, office manager for J&S Building Exteriors Inc., Attleboro, Mass.
- Aidan Carpenter, construction management student at North Carolina State University, Raleigh
- Cecelia Krumholz, daughter of Erik Krumholz, senior field consultant for Tremco Inc., Beachwood, Ohio
- Piper Lewis, daughter of Charles Lewis, project manager for Commonwealth Building Systems, Rockland, Mass.
- Marena Malone, daughter of Rica Malone, national account service representative for Centimark Corp., Canonsburg, Pa.
- Brayden Morford, son of Robert Morford, senior chemist for SOPREMA, Wadsworth, Ohio
- Michael Nwaigbo, construction management student at University of Illinois Chicago
- Alexis Petty, daughter of Jammie Petty, administrative specialist for Beacon, Herndon, Va.
- Hannah Redding, daughter of Lorie Redding, business manager for Tecta America East-Glen Rock, Glen Rock, Pa.
- Kennedy Stockton, construction management student at University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Along with these new recipients, the Roofing Alliance renewed the scholarships of six other students for the upcoming school year. They are:
- Caylin Angel, attending Washington & Jefferson College, Washington, Pa.
- Cole Beyer, attending University of Minnesota: Twin Cities, Minneapolis
- Zackary Cekalla, attending University of Minnesota Duluth
- Cade Edwards, attending Boyce College, Louisville, Ky.
- Davis Edwards, attending Huntingdon College, Montgomery, Ala.
- Julia Shanahan, attending Drexel University, Philadelphia
The Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program offers three scholarship opportunities: an accredited post-secondary institution scholarship, career technical education scholarship, and diversity scholarship. The categories are open to employees of companies throughout the roofing industry as well as their spouses and dependent children. Undergrad students enrolled in construction management programs and students in CTE programs or schools, regardless of industry affiliation, are also eligible.
On July 31, the organization announced it established a Matching Scholarship Donation Program to benefit its Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program. The campaign aims to raise $400,000 to fulfill an overall goal of a $2 million endowment.