Florida is a roofing market that is home to many outstanding roofing contractors, with suppliers doing their best to give them the materials they need to keep residents and businesses safe from hurricanes and other severe weather. But some of those contractors stand above the rest when it comes to applying those materials.
The Florida Roofing and Sheet Metal Association [FRSA] recognized its star performers during its 101st Annual Convention and Expo, highlighting contractors who went above and beyond for projects completed in 2022.
Presented during the second night of the convention, held July 12–14 at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, Kissimmee, Fla., the S.T.A.R. Awards recognizes contractor members for their unique projects. Short for “Spotlight Trophy for the Advancement of Roofing,” the S.T.A.R.s recognize outstanding performance in one of three categories:
- Low Slope – Modified bitumen/single-ply (TPO, PVC, EPDM)/BUR-tar and gravel/metal.
- Steep Slope – Shingle, tile, metal, slate, wood shake/shingle, or composite material applied as a roof system to a 2:12 or greater roof slope.
- Craftsmanship in Roofing – A roof system installation where a superior level of workmanship was evident and made the completed project unique in fit, finish and/or use.
In addition to these categories, the FRSA created a new category, Hurricane Response, which recognizes a company’s response to hurricane damage in “an unusual or extraordinary way.”
This year's FRSA S.T.A.R. winners are:
- Roofman Inc. | Royal Harbour Reroof Project
- Springer Peterson Roofing & Sheet Metal | Midtown Academy
- Advanced Roofing Inc. | Dillard Elementary School
- CFS Roofing Services | Cypress Cove
- Martin Roofing Services Inc. | Suntrax Connected/Automated Vehicle Test Facility
- Huber & Associates | Grand Bohemian Hotel Greenville
Craftsmanship in Roofing
- West Coast Florida Enterprises | 3401 Rum Row
- Quality Roofing, Inc. | McInerney Residence
- Old World Craftsmen | FSU - Student Union Replacement
- Quality Roofing, Inc. | Little Gasparilla Island, Hurricane Ian
In addition, the FRSA awards a company with its overall award, known as the "Shining Star Award." This year's recipient is CFS Roofing Services.
Winners were selected by a panel of expert judges on criteria including aesthetics, unique design, complexity, workmanship, teamwork, creative problem solving and testimonials. The judges include Jim Brauner, Brauner Safety Services, Aventura; Joe Williams, RRC, AIA, A/R/C Associates Inc., Orlando; and Mike Silvers, CPRC, Silvers Systems Inc. and FRSA Technical Director, St. Petersburg. Winners were selected by a panel of expert judges on criteria including aesthetics, unique design, complexity, workmanship, teamwork, creative problem solving and testimonials.
Gulfeagle Supply sponsored this year’s S.T.A.R. Awards.
Along with the S.T.A.R. Awards, the FRSA handed out membership awards. Todd Brown received the 2023 Bieler Enthusiasm Gets It Done Award, given to those who show enthusiasm, energy and professionalism in advancing the industry. The 2023 President's Award went to George Ebersold for "his extraordinary assistance" to 2022-23 President Matt Criswell. The 2023 Earl Blank Memorial Heart Award, given to a member for their exceptional services, was presented to Jim Brauner. Last but not least, the 2023 Bob Campanella Memorial Award was presented to Brian Swope, who, as the award states, "has unselfishly served the association industry and community."